Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Printed Word...

I was explaining to one of my blogging friends about why I am posting Penny's posts...the only way I can express it best, is to say, I follow my instincts.  I have learned I have good ones.  I feel compelled to post them, so as long as I feel it, I will do it, and I hope I do not freak anyone out or turn anyone off...I would care as much if (God forbid) something would happen to one of you...

For me, we all, do form a unique sacred circle...we do get to know one another intimately by the personal stories we share.  I personally, think it is beautiful and rewarding.

This is the last post written by Penny Westwood, the day she had the accident.  The car accident was in the morning, and this post was obviously automatically set to post later in the day at 5:31pm, which is when she was lying unconscious in a coma in the hospital.

The printed word.

Penny
August 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm
Categories: grumbles, opinion
URL: http://wp.me/pSnOU-RL

"Few pleasures can match waking to the sound of a few hundred pages of printed paper landing on the front porch. The making of breakfast and coffee, the dividing up the sections, arguing over one opinion or another. Sharing the morning paper is a simple joy. And even though I love how the internet has democratised how we receive our news, there is something so satisfying and tactile about large sheets of news print.


This household subscribes to The Australian which like most newspapers has much of its content online. Having news online means competition for readership is global. The advantage of this means I can catch up with other, favourite papers whenever I want to. But my morning commute as well as weekend pleasure, is all about the cup of coffee and the paper.


The vagaries of the economy and the development of new technologies has affected sales of newspapers. If some cease to remain viable, this will be a tragic loss for those concerned with sustaining and promoting a well-informed and engaged public. And I really do hope the news continues to be printed. I cannot imagine being at a café, on the bus, in the garden on a sunny day, or at the kitchen table and needing a computer to read the latest news. And for mere coins, the paper is one of the best bargains around."
 
I tried going online to The Australian to see if I could find any mention of an obituary or her accident, death notice or anything...I could not find one word about her...

5 comments:

DJan said...

I feel incredibly blessed that you are sharing Penny's last words with those of us who missed her. I feel a sense of loss that must be repeated in ways I can only imagine. Hugs to you, Donna, and thank you.

Sherry O'Keefe said...

oh, i am so glad you had this post. i guess i counted on being able to click over to her words anytime i needed some balance restored in my life. really touching, donna, that you have shared all this with us.

thank you.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Somehow I missed this last post. The note from her daughter arrived before I read it so it is really gratifying to find it here. Yes, stay with your instincts. Thank you for this. xoxo

betty said...

it is refreshing to read about someone who really enjoyed reading the newspaper; so many times I've put it in the recycle bin without even taking it out of the plastic bag it came in. I am glad you are sharing these words of hers with us, Donna. thank you

betty

Sultan said...

This is a nice thought of course posting your friends posts, but it is a disaster from a copyright perspective if her family decides to take umbrage.