Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Kiwifruit Relish From Downunder...


Mark Rothko -  Black, Brown - 1957

 ***** ( I found one of Mark Rothko's paintings to post here, but not sure if it is the one she posted, because all her photographs were deleted with her blog.******

First, I was only going to post her recipe for Kiwifruit Relish (which sounded so scrumptious), but then I decided to put the rest of her post with it...

"I've never understood Rothko but visiting the Art Gallery yesterday evening, I realised how well brown and grey work together. I pulled out all my grey stuff and started matching it up with brown and managed to recreate a rustic fifties look that is just about perfect for the time of year.


With DH and the family away, I've spent the last two evenings sitting by the fire with the animals, reading Elizabeth Longford's Wellington, The Years of the Sword, and knitting - no radio, no television, no noise, just contemplative peace and quiet. Oh and I also made some Kiwifruit Relish.


I found this gem in a second hand book shop. If you can get a copy, you're in for a treat; a very well written account of Wellington's battles. Elizabeth Longford was a great great (?) niece of Wellington through marriage and had access to family papers. The last part of the book describes the Battle of Waterloo, fought June 18, 1815.


*** ( Picture deleted with blog)****


Old phone found at the market and gleefully purchased.


I went to pick up the family from the airport late this afternoon and while hanging around waiting for their flight, spotted a big notice stuck on to a wall, and given that there was little else to do, I read it:


"We take jokes about safety seriously. You will be prosecuted."


I wondered, for a short second, if this itself was a joke. Legislate humour? Oh yeah, good one.


The world is completely bonkers but I also don't really understand why people think it is funny to joke they are carrying a bomb. Such a shame that it's something that even exists as an issue. There's a fine line between security and infringement of rights.


(DH assures me that those notices have been up for years and years, but I've not spotted one before - probably been in too much of a rush to see them, or they're obscured by crowds, or something.)


Which is all a bit too much for a busy weekend to come. This is kiwifruit relish is delicious. Would you like the recipe? "


KIWIFRUIT RELISH



2 onions, chopped


2 apples, peeled and chopped


1 clove garlic, crushed


1/2 cup raisins


3/4 cup brown sugar


1 cup malt vinegar


1/2 teaspoon ground ginger


1/2 teaspoon allspice


1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


500 gms kiwifruit, peeled and chopped (approx. 17 1/2 oz)


Put onions, apples, garlic, raisins, sugar, vinegar, ginger, allspice and cloves into a pan (preferably non stick). Boil gently for about 30 minutes or until mixture is soft and thickened. Add kiwifruit. Continue cooking for a further 20 minutes or until chutney is thick and jam-like. Pack into sterilised jars. Makes 2 x 350 ml jars. (standard jam jars)

P.S. The title for the post is a quote from Wendell Berry but I don't know which of his poems it's from. If you recognise it, please let me know. ♥"

My time has been eaten by the days.
Penny

June 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm
Categories: art, books, family, grumbles, history, recipes
URL: http://wp.me/pSnOU-a5

No comments: