Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mint Chocolate Bars

Here is another of Penny's recipes...yum, sounds good!


Mint Chocolate Bars


1 cup melted butter


½ cup cocoa powder


2 cups sugar


4 eggs beaten


1 tsp. vanilla


½ tsp. salt


1 ½ cups sifted flour


For Mint Frosting


½ cup butter softened


2 Tbsp. milk


2 cups powdered sugar


1 tsp. peppermint extract


green food colouring


For Chocolate Topping


½ cup butter


1 ½ cup good semi sweet chocolate chips


1. Melt butter in the microwave. In a large bowl add melted butter and cocoa. Whisk together until smooth. (This is important as cocoa can be lumpy)


2. Add whisked eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt to the cocoa mixture. Whisk until smooth.


3. Measure flour and sift into brownie mixture. Stir in by hand. Don't over mix.


4. Spray a 22cm x 32 cm (9" x 13" ) pan with cooking spray, or line it with baking paper. Pour mixture into pan and smooth out.


5. Cook in a 180 º C (350º ) oven for 25-28 minutes… depending on how you like them.


6. Cool for a few minutes then place bars into freezer for 20 minutes.


7. Make mint layer: mix together all the ingredients using a mixer.


8. Frost smoothly and place in the freezer for 20 more minutes. Don’t skimp on the freezer time. If the brownies are too warm, the topping just melts the mint layer and you have a mess. If the brownies have been in the freezer for too long, the topping sets really quickly and it’s hard to get it smooth.


9. While brownies are in the freezer make the chocolate topping. Place chocolate chips and butter in the microwave for 1 minute. Be careful not to overheat. It won’t look melted but once whisked it is. Pour melted chocolate topping over the brownies and working quickly spread it evenly over the brownies with a spatula.


10. Place brownies in the freezer for another 20 minutes until topping is set. Cut into bars.
 
Penny

June 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm
Categories: cooking, recipes, weekend
URL: http://wp.me/pSnOU-uw

5 comments:

DJan said...

These sound so good that I won't make them. I would if I could eat them but somebody else would WEAR them!! :-)

Donna B. said...

LOL...I know what you mean!!!

DrSoosie said...

HI Donna....if only I could eat your delicious sounding recipe!!!! that darn diabetes prevents me from doing so. I never was a great baker and now there really is no point in me trying since I would never be able to eat what I baked. Boo Hoo!!! So please...next time you bake this recipe eat an extra one for me. PLus I want to tell you I love your new header...it is touching!

Donna B. said...

Thank you Susie, I thought it represented how I feel now, since we all have gotten to know one another so much better. Although the desert is beautiful, it seemed so barren...

The recipes are not mine. They belong to a woman named Penny, who was a blogging friend. In case you missed those posts, she was in a car accident and died. Her blog was deleted by her family. Luckily, I had subscribed to her blog and had saved several of her posts. Her poetry, photography and voice touched me and her death, profoundly impacted my life.

Chatty Crone said...

Now this sounds like my kind of recipe. sandie