Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Keeping It Light...

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need--a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink, for thirst is a dangerous thing."

~Jerome Klapka Jerome~

Since his retirement, my husband is doing his best to relax and I have been cheer leading with positivity, but both of us are two peas of the same pod, we both cannot "lighten up" until all our T's are crossed and our I's have dots... 

Gathering all our supplies and safety nets to supply our journey into the uncharted seas of retirement has been weathering both of us.  We have another full day tomorrow and then we leave for California on Wednesday.

We had a wonderful talk this morning and the above poem spoke to me.  It is the direction we wish to sail...

7 comments:

Sultan said...

Bon voyage!

betty said...

I like that quote. Simplicity I have come to learn is best on how we view our possessions. More friends, less things is what I'm going to try to aim for as we make our move south. As a wise man said to me at a garage sale a few years back, "the only thing you can take with you when you die are souls".

I would imagine it take a bit to "adjust" to your new life with your husband home and de-stressing himself from the vigors of a workday. I would imagine it is hard for him that was in such a routine of work to find himself not in such a routine and trying to figure out how to structure days. I think a lot of people can feel that way when they reach retirement, but you guys being on the same page in what you want with your lives will make this transition I think so much smoother! It will be a fantastic journey you guys are on!!

betty

DJan said...

When I retired, I immediately joined the local YMCA and take a 9:00 class every day. It helped me to have somewhere to be at least once a day, and I now know everyone in the class (they are mostly retired like me) and we sometimes get together for coffee afterwards. It was my start into retirement and helped immensely.

Madame DeFarge said...

May your journey be long and happy, which ever direction you take.

Chatty Crone said...

I am not sure what you have have left to figure out - but best wishes and try to keep your life simple - it may take some getting used too.

sandie

Wanda..... said...

Retirement is Great!

Jimmy said...

Retirement is a good thing once you get used to it, I always planned for an early retirement but medical reasons took me out a whole lot sooner, now after a few years of not having to worry about when to get up or what to do other than times and things of my own choosing, I look around and think..Life is good.