Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Learning From These Three Things...

" I've learned
that you can tell
a lot about a person
by the way
he/she handles
these three things:
a rainy day,
lost luggage
and tangled
Christmas Tree lights."

~Mayo Angelou~

I just LOVE this quote.  When I first read it, it reminded me how often we humans allow some external thing to obliterate our internal feelings of calm and peace.  Case in point the three things listed above.

I LOVE rainy days.  Rarely ever will the rain upset my day, normally, it lifts my spirits and I feel cozy or adventurous.

Lost luggage?  Fortunately for me, it has never happened to me...but I would like to think I would look upon it as an opportunity to challenge myself and find quick replacement outfits at a tag sale or second hand store.  Admittedly, I would panic if my jewelry or camera was misplaced, but generally I always carry these items on my person or packed in my carry on bag...

Tangled anything has always been an interesting challenge to me.  For some odd, unknown reason....maybe it is my love of puzzles... but I actually enjoy untangling anything.  One day, while shopping in a store, a young female clerk looked very frustrated as she had the task of untangling a glob of tangled mess of necklaces. 

I offered to help and her look of surprise tickled me.  I told her I had this quirky self entertainment in untangling things.  Her reply was, "Knock yourself out and thank you very much!"

What about you?  How do you respond to the above three things?

7 comments:

DJan said...

Rainy days are so common here in the PNW that I cannot imagine getting upset about it. Everything is so GREEN because of it! Lost luggage is not a picnic, I've been there, but fortunately everything showed up eventually. Untangling things bothers me because I'm impatient and, as you must know, that is a real danger when trying to unravel a tangled thread. Two out of three ain't bad!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I've never lost luggage (because I avoid airplanes at all costs), and I love rainy days, but I might flunk out on those tangled lights. I get frustrated pretty easily with knots.

betty said...

Lost luggage one time, son has lost luggage three times (what are the odds on that, LOL??) It was okay with losing the luggage when it happened to me because we were coming home, two of the three times with son it was also coming home, but the third time was when he was going out. Thankfully the luggage got there the next day!

Rain doesn't bother me too much; I feel bad sometimes if it hampers Koda getting a walk; he likes his routine.

Untangling is okay too if I have the time. If I'm stressed, then I usually need to put it away until I have more time.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, Donna!! It got cold down here so bring some warm clothes!

betty

magpie said...

thanks for this quote

love the rain - it's
permission to be blue
while sunlight mocks
sadness.

lost luggage reminds us
we aren't in control.
rage a bit
but you might as well laugh.

put tangled lights into a
glass bowl enveloped in silk.

Chatty Crone said...

I love that quote by Maya - and I think it's true too.

Sandie♥ HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Madame DeFarge said...

Rainy day, fab. Lost luggage, less bad if on way home (then it's dirty washing), but tangled Christmas lights? Well that might just be dealbreaker in any marriage.

Teresa said...

you sound exactly like me in these three things... love the rain and it doesn't bother me to be out and about in it. lost luggage has happened once but it showed up the next day, so no biggie. i carry my medications, camera, glucose meter, etc. with me so it was a non-issue. tangled tree lights (like necklaces) don't faze me at all. if it's tangled, give it to me and i'll work it til it's fixed (granted if i can SEE it).