Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Learning To Slow Down...

On our drive out from Nevada, my husband normally tries to beat his last land speed record in seeing how quickly we can arrive at our destination.  Pity me if I need to use the restroom.  When he is on a mission to get somewhere, stopping, is not on his agenda....

He started our trip in the fast line with a determined look on his face.... I reminded him,

"Remember honey, you are retired now, we have all the time in the world.  We don't have to rush anymore".

He looked over at me and smiled, "Yeah, I need to learn how to slow down.''




Today is our third day in California... Our schedule has been jam packed, me going one direction and my husband going another.  Our challenge is to visit with as many of our large family as possible within a one week period. Today I went with Mom to her church group which helps young Mothers, to the nursing home for Dad's 90th birthday celebration given by the nursing home, then back to her house to wait for my husband, who had gone to Riverside to meet one of his friends for breakfast and then have lunch with his youngest son.



We barely had time to change clothes before piling in the car to meet the rest of our family at the nursing home to celebrate Dad's 90th birthday. Everyone made it except one of my brothers who was delayed on the freeway. The party was a big success and Dad was ready for bed when we all kissed him good-bye.  Afterward, we caravaned to my second oldest brother's home in Covina Hills for a delicious spaghetti dinner.  We got back to Mom's around midnight...

Tomorrow he will return to Riverside to see his daughter, after he drops me off at 7:30 am in Claremont to walk and spend time with my sister.  Later my sister will drop me back off at Mom's where I will meet up with my husband, pack up and we will drive to Beaumont to stay with my oldest daughter and grandsons.  My daughter's husband is away in Colorado on a hunting trip.

My youngest daughter, her husband and baby Jacob will also arrive Saturday and we will all spend the night at my oldest daughters. Sunday we celebrate my second youngest grandson's birthday.  Monday and Tuesday is whatever comes up and we return to Nevada on Wednesday...

Maybe we can work on the slowing down part on our drive back home...

9 comments:

Wanda..... said...

The drive home Wednesday will be a good time to slow down and savor all those lovely visits you had with loved ones.

betty said...

glad the birthday celebration went well!! I bet your dad enjoyed seeing all that were there!! It is a jam packed schedule! but you know I'm thinking that over time your husband will learn to slow down and adapt to a slower pace of life and your visits to this area will be perhaps longer, knowing he won't have to come back sooner for work, etc! enjoy the rest of your time here!!!

betty

JeannetteLS said...

What a wonderful thing to read as I slowly return to my land of bloggers... that you are THERE, in California. Wishing you all that is wonderful. Catch you again soon, Donna.

gayle said...

Wow that's a busy schedule!! Glad you are enjoying yourself!

Chatty Crone said...

I'm glad the birthday celebration went well - I imagine that it is very hard to learn how to slow down!

sandie

Teresa said...

you made me tired just reading this! glad the celebration went well and that you're having a good visit.

septembermom said...

You're happily busy with all these wonderful visits. You must have tons of energy!! Glad that you're doing well, and I agree that slowing down time will be nice for you too. Have a terrific Sunday!

Madame DeFarge said...

Sounds like you have so much to pack in! Don't forget to enjoy yourselves along the way too.

Jimmy said...

Hey Donna, It takes a while to slow down but it is sure worth it when you do, there are a lot of new things on the road you have passed a million times you will have time to stop and see if you so desire.

I got a little tickled when you mentioned Riverside, then when you said Beaumont I had to smile because you are right in our neck of the woods, our little town has the same zip code as Beaumont :^)

Winging it for a couple days then slowing down on the return trip home sounds like a good plan.