Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What I'd Like To Know...

I have been very busy lately, adding up and getting all our tax information for our tax person.  He comes the end of the week.  What I'd like to know is, how can a woman, who hates math, be the delegated individual to deal with this?  I mean, my husband is a human calculator and a former banker!!

We were noticed our car insurance will go up $20 a month.  We have a clean record and no claims...but were told there were a vast amount of car claims in Nevada, so all us "good and reliable" drivers must pay for those who caused the increase.  My husband hit the roof...and started calling various other car insurance companies....turns out, even with the increase, so far, AARP is still the cheapest.

I figured I would try to find a way to counteract the increase by saving on one of our other utilities...

So, in addition to gathering up the tax stuff, (which I HATE to do and choose to procrastinate at every opportunity...) I have been calling each of our utilities to see if there is any way to lower our monthly bill.  Once I finish my survey, I will share it with all of you...

What I'd like to know...how does one get cheap, inexpensive Internet service without hauling one's lap top down to the nearest coffee house?  We have ours bundled with our land line.  If we cancel the land line (and use our cell phones instead) the company will raise the monthly amount of our Internet.  I am looking into a "work around" to this, so we can keep the $25 a month Internet fee.

I had planned to write more...but I am sleepy and can no longer think...night, night...sweet dreams...

6 comments:

DJan said...

We didn't get a landline when we moved to Washington state, Donna, using our cell phones only. But our internet service is still around $60 a month through Comcast, and it was $45 a month through Clearwire. We only have those two options. It seems to be different depending on where you live.

Jeanie said...

Our internet is bundled with our cable TV and land lines and it just keeps going up...it seems like there is an increase every few months.
Good luck with the taxes. Doc has that job around here and I'm supposed to give him all my stuff TODAY. Better get on that.

betty said...

We are the same way about Internet; it is bundled with our landline (which we rarely use)and cable. That and our cell phone bill is our biggest utility expense but something I can't figure out how to reduce. Because I work online I need to have a reliable Internet so I figure I can't go with a "small" company just in case.

Good luck with your search; I look forward to hearing the results.

I had to laugh about you getting the things together for taxes; its kind of like me, hating moving and yet I've moved 12 times in 23 years, how did that happen?

betty

Donna B. said...

DJan: If we canceled our landline completely, our internet would go up to $55 a month from $25. I think we might go with a "peace of mind" plan which is 200 long distance minutes for $6.00 a month. Our internet/land line bill is roughly $84 a month...making the change would reduce our bill to $35 (with taxes) and save us almost $50.

We have more than two choices here...but some are not reliable and the internet is always going down. We have a great service with no problems using Century Link (who used to be Embarq, who used to be Sprint.)

Jeanie: I know if households bundle everything together, there is a price break...but then they "have you prisioner" and if you try to deduct anything, prices go up. Utilites and the gasoline industry is NOT part of the solution, they are part of the problem!

betty: Yes, read my comment to DJan...you might want to call your carrier and see if they have some minimum long distance plan you can drop down to so you don't lose the reduced price for the internet. I really like our internet service. Zero complaints.

I hate moving too. Since I met my husband, I have moved four times in ten years! This is the longest we have lived in one house!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh - this is so funny - my hubby retired - we're doing the exact same thing right now.

Old age . . .

Love,
sandie

gayle said...

I need to call around to see if we can get some of ours reduced too but I'll probably save that job for spring break!! Can't wait to see what you find out!!