Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Simple Kindness...


"Simple kindness to one's self
and all that lives,
is the most powerful
transformational force of all."

~ David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D~


I can really relate to this quote.  If someone is having a bad day, and goes out into their neighborhood, community, city, represents their state, or country, and is having a bad day; it can affect anyone and everyone in that person's path.

Have you ever had a bad day, walking down the street or into a store, and some random person
walks past you, makes eye contact and gives you a big smile?  Doesn't it lift you up?

It's like that axiom, "I takes one rotten apple to spoil the barrel".  When I used to work at the Federal Bankruptcy Court, right after we declared war on Iran, we had lay offs every December, just before Christmas.  Everyone was on edge and stressed out.  Some employees
were having heart attacks, stomach problems, and all kinds of stress related illnesses, myself included. 

I went to see my doctor, sure I had cancer from the symptoms I was having.  The doctor told me it was all stress.  "It's all in your attitude", she said.  "I can prescribe a pill, but you can help yourself by not worrying about anything you cannot control."  I thought about it and did my best to not participate in the "pot stirring" or "gossip".  I got permission to write positive quotes on an dry erase board where everyone did their filing.  I had so many co-workers tell me how much those quotes picked up their day....

It all starts with ourselves.  Like the comment Sandie made on this quote, "We are to love others as we love ourselves".  If we don't love ourselves, how can we love another, or show them any kindness?

Have you ever had a really horrible day, then saw a friend, who made you laugh and gave you a hug?  It doesn't take much and does not cost anything.  Simple kindness, goes a long way, for ourselves and others.  It can be truly transforming...


5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

So many people think that you are supposed to take care of and like others. But even the Golden Rule says to love others as you love yourself. That is the part we forget.

sandie

Sultan said...

Well said.

I always liked going to bankruptcy clerk's office in Orlando back in the day.

DJan said...

It is truly amazing what a kind word or having your feelings validated can do to turn things around. And you're right: loving yourself is important and often forgotten.

Kathy said...

I am the "cheerleader". I get up happy and try to stay that way all day long. I try to make others happy. They call me Pollyanna at work. I try very hard to live in the now. I read a great book by Eckhart Tolle and it really taught me that I can't live in the past and I can't predict the future...now is really where it's at. I've never been so happy or satisfied with my life. :)

Thanks for the great post.

Marylinn Kelly said...

For all the things we can't control, we do have power over our attitude, over what we choose to hold onto as our truth. Pessimism is toxic, for us and for people around us. It doesn't hurt to expect a good outcome. Donna, you, too, are a cheerleader. Thanks.