Pages

Picture taken by my friend Cyndi Leos....thank you Cyndi.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life...



My sister sent me this email this morning.....



Cherokee Two Wolves Story



An elderly Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life . .

He said to them, "A fight is going on inside me, it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One wolf is evil---he is fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.

The other is good ---he is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

They thought about it for a minute, and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win, Grandfather?"

The Elder simply replied, "The one you feed."

7 comments:

Mari said...

I've read this before, but it's good to read again. There is such truth to it!

DJan said...

Yes, indeed. The one I feed. I choose life, joy, peace, and love. Thank you for this reminder.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh I have seen this before - I love it and it is so true. And the problem I have is this - you can only do this for yourself - you can''t make anyone understand and do this for themselves - unless they want to do it.

sandie

Donna B. said...

Mari, DJan, and Sandie: I have read it before too, but I am reading a book which discusses the energy in our emotions and how it effects our levels of consciousness. I am working on a post about it so I am drawn to these quotes, poems and stories, illustrating it. Stay tuned...

DrSoosie said...

Humans are so complex and we fight the bad feelings of the "evil" wolf with all our might..however sometimes we do feed him too much. But like an overfed human who wants to change himself, we curb certain indulgences with diets and restraints. If we do this without feeling deprivation but acknowledgement. only then we can fill ourselves with 'good" feelings. We must unite our two halves in order to be whole and not punish ourselves for allowing indulgence, on occasion, of bad things.

Sultan said...

This is really quite likable

Marylinn Kelly said...

Donna, There must be something in the air...many posts and comments reflect this topic...will our better angels win the fight, one we know will continue. The wish is that we weren't the battleground, but we are and, as in all things, the process and outcome are what we make of them.